Thursday, August 2, 2012

Buffalo follows me wherever I go.

You can basically not go anywhere in the world without having at least one connection to Buffalo. On Monday, I went to IKEA (ick-yeah in Finland!) with my host mom and walked around the store for a while. We were in the cabinet section and Anne was pointing out cabinets that she was interested in for my brother's room when all of the sudden she was like "and then I think Ante could use these cab- OH MY. IT'S TEPPO."

Okay, small explanation. On the Buffalo Sabres there is a player named Teppo Numminen who's home city in Finland is Tampere, where I'm staying. When I first came here, it was a funny surprise to my host family and me that he went from Tampere to Buffalo, our two cities.

So here I was in the cabinet section of IKEA Tampere four thousand miles away from Buffalo, staring at one of the people that make Buffalo famous. He was there with his family. My host mom in Finnish said to Teppo "This is William from Buffalo!" So we talked for a minute or two, just basically saying how weird it was to run into another Buffalonian here. In IKEA. In the cabinet section. Four thousand miles away.

Yes of course I was the one to be like "Can we get a picture?"...your welcome very much ;)


For the few minutes after my mom and I just basically stared at each other like crazy people crying and laughing in the middle of a giant furniture store. None of the showroom was any longer interesting for us. What just happened was way too crazy. So immediately we called my host dad to tell him and he thought it was super crazy too. 

All after that was kind of a daze, and I just remember waking up on the side of the highway. Just kidding. But we did walk through the rest of the store still crazily shocked.

The funniest part about this story is that my friend Jacquie, before I left, joked that I should watch out for her favorite player from the Buffalo Sabres, Teppo Numminen, because he was from Finland. And that is just what happened. I think I thought of Jacquie before I even thought about how rare this really was. 

Talk about a one-in-a-million chance. Buffalo, oh Buffalo. Sometimes you're just so out there in the world. Don't stop.


1 comment:

  1. Your blog is so interesting. Because you don't are a Finn, but you are an exchange student in Finland. And you are staying in my neighbour city! I'm living in Pirkkala, Finland :)

    ReplyDelete